Leadership Bible Study
Led by Dr. John C. Martin and Josh Gerbracht, 2005
Leadership Review Topics
- Servant Leadership
1. Servant Leadership
- How To Improve Your Servanthood:
- Learn to walk slowly through the crowd.
- Listen to what matters to people.
- Honor people by performing small acts of service for them.
"Anyone can steer the ship, but it takes a leader to chart the course." John Maxwell
Proverbs 19:18a: "Where there is no vision, the people perish..." (KJV)
- A visionary leader sees...
- farther than others see
- more than others see
- before others see
- What hinders vision?
Luke 14:28-39 "For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'" (NASB)
- Limited leaders
- Satisfied sitters
- Problem perceivers
"Trust is formed by a leader's character and credibility." John C. Maxwell
- How To Gain Trust
- Remain teachable.
- Proverbs 10:17 "He who keeps instruction is in the way of life, but he who refuses correction goes astray." (NKJV)
- Remain teachable.
- Develop your character/integrity.
- Actively listen.
- 1 Kings 19:12 "After the earthquake cam a fire, but the Lord wa not in the fire. And after the fire cam a gentle whisper." (NIV)
- Keep the confidence of others.
- Proverbs 11:13 "A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret." (NIV)
What sin will always do
- Sin always takes you farther than you wanted to go.
- Sin always keeps you longer than you wanted to stay.
- Sin always costs you more than you were willing to pay.
- Judges 16:19-21 "Having put him to sleep on her lap, she called a man to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him. Then she called, 'Samson, the Philistines are upon you!' He awoke from his sleep and thought, 'I'll go out as before and shake myself free.' But he did not know that the Lord had left him. Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding in the prison." (NIV)
- Leaders earn the right to be heard.
- 1 Samuel 3:19-21 "So Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground. And all Israel from Dan to Beerheba knew that Samuel had been established as a prophet of the Lord. Then the Lord appeared again in Shiloh. for the Lord revealed Himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the Lord." (NKJV)
- Leaders should listen to God before asking others to listen to them.
- The impact of the voice is determined by the influence of the leader.
- Proverbs 10:21 "The lips of the righteous fee many, but fools die for lack of wisdom." (NKJV)
- Leaders see everything, but focus on the important thing.
- Ephesians 5:15-17 "Act like people with good sense and not like fools. These are evil times, so make every minute count. Don't be stupid. Instead, find out what the Lord wants you to do." (CEV)
- God blesses right priorities!
- Respect yourself and those you work with.
- Exceed the expectations of others.
- Stand firm in your convictions.
- Possess uncommon security and maturity.
- Contribute to the success of others.
- Think ahead of others.
How Solomon Built Momentum
- He started with what David provided.
- He humbly asked for wisdom in leadership above all else.
- He made wise decisions that won him credibility.
- 1 Kings 3:28 "When all Israel heard the verdict the king had given, they held the king in awe, because they saw that he had wisdom from God to administer justice."
- He maintained the peace.
- He surrounded himself with wise associates.
- Know your message.
- Communication is not just what you say, it's also how you say it.
- Know your audience
- Be credible
- Believe what you say
- Romans 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile." (NIV)
- Expect Results
- Communication is not imparting information, but causing people to be stirred into action!
- Connection requires intentional effort.
- Proverbs 11:25 "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." (NIV)
- Share with openness and sincerity.
- Communicate on the other person's level.
- Listen attentively.
- Believe in people.
- Offer direction and hope.
- Connection with people means acting consistently.
- Matthew 5:27a "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes', and your 'No' be 'No'..." (NIV)
With Jesus as your life coach, you will...
- Practice planned abandonment.
- Keep your focus.
- Proverbs 4:25 "Let your eyes look straight ahead, and your eyelids look right before you." (NKJV)
- Learn to use your sword.
- Redefine reality.
- Be seen.
- Have fun.
- Ge off to a rough start.
- Esther 4:14 "For I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." (NIV)
- Respect your fragile things.
- Honor your ancestors.
- Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." (NIV)
- Empowering leaders lift people to a higher level.
- Leaders live a life of empowerment.
- Hebrews 10:24-45 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage on another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (NIV)
"Leaders find a way for the team to win." John C. Maxwell
- Three components of victory.
- Unity of vision.
- Diversity of gifts...
- Romans 12:5-8: "So in Christ we who are many from one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contribution to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." (NIV)
- Leadership committed to raising the team's potential.
- The Bible, New International Version (2)
- Leadership Review, by Dr. John C. Martin of Victorville First Assembly of God and Josh Gerbracht of Apple Valley First Assembly of God
- 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, Follow Them, and People Will Follow You, by John C. Maxwell
- Calvary Christian Assembly's Weekly Sermon Notes