Science-based Natural Medicine
- Introduction to Naturopathic Medicine
- Educational Training of Naturopathic Physicians
- Medical Licensure and State News
- Find a Naturopathic Physician in Your Area
- Additional Information Naturopathic Medicine
1. Introduction to Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic doctors (NDs) attend 4-5 years of graduate school (the same amount of training as medical doctors), with a focus on nutrition-based medicine, natural healthcare, and drug-free interventions for improving health. They are licensed as primary care providers on the whole West Coast, and about 1/2 of the states. In Washington State, it's law that their medical services must be covered by insurance companies. The licensure of naturopathic doctors as primary care physicians in all 50 states would greatly help improve access to science-based natural medicine, cost-effective healthcare, preventative medicine, and drug-free healthcare services.
- Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
- What is a Naturopathic Doctor?
- Why Choose a Naturopathic Doctor?
- Naturemed.org: Why Natural Medicine?
- Videos on Naturopathic Medicine
- Do NDs Take Insurance?
- The Therapeutic Order and Naturopathic Medicine's Healing Principles
- "It's not about taking a vitamin or an herb, it's about understanding the cause of illness."
- A Comprehensive Review of the Naturopathic Medicine Profession
- Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Naturopathic Medicine
2. Education Training of Naturopathic Physicians
- Naturopathic Medicine Education
- Comparing Naturopathic Doctor (ND) and Medical Doctor (MD) Educational Training Programs
3. Medical Licensure and State News
- State licensure of naturopathic physicians
- Mid-Atlantic Area: Pennsylvania and Massachusetts (home of The University of Pennsylvania and Harvard University's medical programs) recently licensed naturopathic doctors.
- Licensure for Naturopathic Physicians in Pennsylvania recently passed on 11/3/16 (more info">more info, Pennsylvania Naturopathic Physicians' Facebook Page).
- Licensure for Naturopathic Physicians in Massachusetts recently passed on 1/12/17
- Delaware, New Jersey and New York have not yet licensed naturopathic doctors, but Maryland and Washington, DC have. And, there are there are quite a few naturopathic physicians practicing in Pennsylvania.
- Residents of Delaware, New Jersey and New York may want to contact leaders of the Pennsylvania association to ask for a physician referral, or utilize the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians national directory to locate a naturopathic physician in their area.
- New States are regularly being added to the list of States where naturopathic physicians have been licensed to practice as family physicians (on a similar or equal level as medical doctors).
4. Find a Naturopathic Physician in Your Area
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians' national directory of naturopathic doctors.
- Naturopathic Medicine's Physicians of the Year
5. Additional Information on Naturopathic Medicine
- Natural Medicine Journal - The Official Journal of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians: www.naturalmedicinejournal.com
- Naturopathic Doctor News and Review: www.ndnr.com
- Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal: www.imjournal.com
- Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges: www.aanmc.org
- 3,258 mile run across country to promote public awareness of naturopathic medicine
- NDhealthfacts.org: Dr. Benedict Lust, considered the founder of American Naturopathic Medicine