A Natural Healthcare Approach to Health Optimization and Immune System Support
1. Natural Healthcare and Health Optimization Defined
The use of naturally occurring, bio-active, bio-compatible substances, activities, therapies, energies and related safe, effective methods for promoting optimal health and healing.
2. 100,000+ studies in support of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary healthcare interventions for healthcare concerns, including immune system support
The following books highlight up to 16,800 research studies per book in support of the use of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary interventions for healthcare concerns, or as additions to other healthcare interventions: https://johnlutz.com/books/#health.
3. The anti-infective nutrient
There are currently 41 nutrients classified as essential nutrients by the U.S. government (the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine, of the National Academies): 14, vitamins, 15 minerals, 9 amino acids, 2 fatty acids, and water. Do you know which one was originally called the anti-infective nutrient? Hints: it’s not a mineral, an amino acid, a fatty acid, or water. So, it’s a vitamin. And, it’s not vitamin C, or vitamin D. The answer is vitamin A: https://johnlutz.com/nutrients/vitamins/a/. Highlighted research article: "Revealing the targets and mechanisms of vitamin A in the treatment of Covid-19": https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32805728/. Ten different known methods of action against covid-19 and covid-19 related symptoms are discussed. Vitamin A has been shown to promote healthy mucous membranes, which help prevent pathogens from entering the body, and it has been shown to be effective against the common cold, malaria, measles and tuberculosis (see the above list of books for the supporting research and related information). Dandelions greens (commonly growing in yards and parks) are a top source of vitamin A (actually, plant source precursors to vitamin A called carotenoids, including alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin and others): https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2441/2. Food sources of Vitamin A...
4. Have you heard the news about zinc?
Zinc has over 2,000 currently known essential functions in human health. It is involved in virtually every aspect of immune system function, and it is a common deficiency, especially for seniors, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22222917/. One common cause of deficiency: seniors are often taking 5-10 or more pharmaceutical drugs, which commonly deplete 2-15 essential vitamins and minerals for health per drug (https://naturalpharmacist.net/dind/), and each essential nutrient has hundreds to thousands of currently known, essential functions in human health. Among many functions of zinc related to immune system function, our bodies utilize zinc to transport and help update vitamin A, which is one example of how nutrients work in combination to promote improved health (vitamin E is also known to enhance vitamin A absorption). The drug hydroxychloroquine helps cells uptake zinc more effectively, but it comes with side-effects, https://www.drugwatch.com/hydroxychloroquine/side-effects/ (although possibly not a major concern for short-term use, which is common for use for covid-19 treatment, together with zinc: https://www.townsendletter.com/article/445-6-covid-hydroxychloroquine-caper/). A naturally occurring nutrient, quercetin (contained within many fruits, citrus, apples, berries, greens, other foods, and nutritional supplements in higher potency) has been shown to produce a similar effect, https://doctormurray.com/is-quercetin-natures-magic-bullet-against-covid-19/, without the side-effects. Quercetin's food sources and quercetin's health effects. Common covid-19 symptoms are loss of taste and smell, which are textbook zinc deficiency symptoms. Related research: https://johnlutz.com/nutrients/minerals/zinc/.
5. Vitamin C has been proven to be effective against every virus it has ever been tested against
Vitamin C has been proven to be effective against every virus it has ever been tested against as long as it is given at an effective dose1, 2 (which is the same for other healthcare interventions), including polio (60 out of 60 cases cured in the 1930s, and it was written up in Time Magazine, at the time; see the below list of links for related info), HIV and covid-19: a recent study showed 2/3 less deaths from covid-19 in the most critically ill patients with the use of this one nutrient, http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n50.shtml. See also: Short video: Alan Gaby, MD, speaking on nutritional medicine and vitamin C's antiviral effects. Nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare are, of course, much more broad and extensive therapies than the use on one nutrient for healing. In fact, each plant has over 10,000 nutritional components, and over 100,000 nutritional, healthful components of food have been identified! So, there is simply nothing that can replace or substitute for the positive health effects of a diet which contains a variety of unrefined foods in their natural (ideally organic) state. See http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/index.shtml and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=vitamin+c+covid-19 for the latest news and research in support of vitamin C against covid-19.
- Video: The two most basic vitamins, part 1, Vitamin C, by Jonathan Wright, MD, ND (Hon): https://youtu.be/ITVJO6UZ5-Y.
- Video: High dose vitamin C therapy for major diseases, by Andrew Saul, PhD: https://youtu.be/W5Bgdqsorg0.
- Additional excellent information on vitamin C's many well-proven health effects (a sample chapter from a book citing 16,800 studies in support of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare; 83 supporting research studies on vitamin C cited): http://bit.ly/detailed-info-on-vitamin-c.
- This is not new information (it's just not patentable or highly profitable):
- 1949 article: http://bit.ly/1949-article-treatment-of-polio-and-other-virus-diseases-with-vitamin-c.
- 1982 book: The Healing Factor: Vitamin C Against Disease, by Irwin Stone, with forwards by Nobel Prize winners Dr. Linus Pauling, and Dr. Albert Szent-Gyorgi.
- 1994 article: Treatment of Infectious Disease with Massive Doses of Vitamin C, by Robert Cathcart III, MD. Related information: Meyer's Cocktail - Nutrient IV, by Alan Gaby, MD. Used to help many healthcare concerns, especially when digestion may not be optimal.
- 2011 book: Curing the Incurables, by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD. Presents information from 1,200 supporting studies on vitamin C's many positive health effects (see the table of contents): https://bit.ly/curing-the-incurables-vitamin-c-1200-studies.
- 2019 article: Also by Dr. Levy, on a nutritional supplement showing positive results helping our bodies produce vitamin C: http://formula216.com/pill-maintain-vitamin-c-levels-delivering-promise/.
- 2020: When Will They Ever Learn: Ascorbate (“Vitamin C”) and Health, by Jonathan Wright, MD, ND (Hon. naturopathic doctor) .
- 2021 free ebook by Dr. Levy (name and e-mail address not required): Rapid Virus Recovery - No Need to Live in Fear! Includes over 600 peer reviewed studies from medical journals: https://rvr.medfoxpub.com.
- Home health test to easily and inexpensively test your vitamin C levels: https://store.riordanclinic.org/vitachek-c-strips-50-test-strips/.
- Screening for Vitamin C in the Urine: Is It Clinically Significant? by James A. Jackson, Ph.D., Kelly Wong, B.S.; Chad Krier, N.D., D.C.; Hugh D. Riordan, M.D.
- Additional information on vitamin C's many extensively proven health effects against many different pathogens and for many different healthcare concerns: http://www.whale.to/a/levy_h.html, https://johnlutz.com/nutrients/vitamins/vitamin-c.
- Food sources of vitamin C...
6. Vitamin D (and natural healthcare) -- bad news for covid-19
A growing list of studies have found that incidence, severity and death from covid-19 is inversely correlated with vitamin D levels: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v17n01.shtml, https://vdmeta.com. Similar research is available for vitamin C, zinc, vitamin A, magnesium, selenium and other nutrients, which is essentially (or a large part of) the natural healthcare approach for healthcare concerns: focus on promoting health, and most conditions will go away on their own, or be prevented. One way to promote health is to regularly obtain high levels of nutrients known to promote health! Related info in the below video:
Video: The two most basic vitamins, part 2, Vitamin D, by Jonathan Wright, MD, ND (Hon): https://youtu.be/LzAG2Iqik-A. This video includes information on vitamin D studies showing the lowering all cause mortality (lower deaths from cancer, heart attacks, stokes, diabetes, "whatever the problem, you less likely to die of it, if you have more vitamin D," with the exception of deaths due to physical accidents and harm, such as car accidents or being run over by a truck, "even if that truck is loaded with vitamin D, you're still dead!"; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14985208/; https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-D#mortality); a vitamin D dependent method our bodies use to lower blood pressure; vitamin D's role in helping our bodies produce our own germ killers ("yes, our bodies can make what we would loosely call antibiotics, if we have enough vitamin D, and if we don't have enough vitamin D, our bodies can't make those -- this is for real; we can actually make our own germ fighting substances in our own bodies [cathelicidins] if we have enough vitamin D"; 80% less type 1 diabetes (for infants given 2,000 IU for 1 year after birth, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11705562/); beneficial effects on hormonal balance for men and women; reduction of rates of breast cancer and fibroids; the slowing of genetic signals that lead to multiple sclerosis; and vitamin's D role in pain reduction, and even a reduction in falls in the elderly. "Vitamin D is required if we are going to live as long and as healthy as we can." The doctor states that studies suggest that 60-100 ng./ml. is the optimal level. See also: https://www.meridianvalleylab.com/the-essential-nutrient-you-need-more-of-and-how-to-get-it-absolutely-free/.
Over 2,700 currently known functions of vitamin D have been discovered, 300 of which are directly related to immune system function. And, vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies. https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/micronutrient-inadequacies/overview#vitamin-D.
A name you may be hearing a lot about soon: Robert Edgar Hope-Simpson (a physician born in 1908, who lived to be 95 years old) -- Is Susceptibility to Flu (and the above links strongly indicate possibly covid-19) a Seasonal Vitamin Deficiency Symptom?
Wiki quote, 3/10/21: "His career-long interest in the manner of transmission of the influenza virus was first stirred by the great epidemic of 1932–33, the year in which he entered general practice. It culminated in a book, published in 1992, which questioned the theory of person-to-person transmission being enough to explain the simultaneous appearance of influenza in places far apart. His initial hypothesis proposed that the cause of influenza epidemics during winter may be connected to a seasonal influence. His later research suggested that the correlation may be due in part to a lack of vitamin D during the wintertime, after documenting that influenza A epidemics in temperate latitudes peak in the month following the winter solstice. His findings were based not only on observation in his practice, but also on extensive historical research into past epidemics."
Recent researchers have come to the same conclusion: "Epidemic influenza and vitamin D: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16959053/. "We conclude that vitamin D, or lack of it, may be Hope-Simpson's "seasonal stimulus" (the seasonal-related factor, causing low levels of vitamin D, and an increase in flu cases).
- Before the discovery of vitamin C, it was commonly thought that scurvy was an infectious disease. It turned out to be a deficiency of vitamin C.
- Currently, on clinicaltrials.gov, there are over 80 clinical trials for vitamin D for prevention or treatment of covid-19: http://bit.ly/vitamin-d-clinical-trials.
- An excellent article signed by over 200 scientists and doctors, calling for increased vitamin D use to combat Covid-19, due to current research studies indicating a highly positive impact in prevention and treatment of covid-19: https://vitamindforall.org/letter.html.
- Related quote from Richard H. Carmona, MD, the 17th Surgeon General of the U.S.: "We are often enamored by high tech treatments but the history of medicine is replete [filled with] with examples of commonly overlooked basic nutritional physiology. I applaud the [above mentioned document's] signatories' efforts and dedication at raising international awareness about vitamin D...Their encouragement to consider widespread vitamin D supplementation has little chance of harm but a tremendous potential for good."
- Our bodies produce the most active form of vitamin D and other health-promoting photoproducts from sunlight: https://johnlutz.com/health/sunlight/.
- Place mushrooms in sunlight to greatly increase vitamin D to high/very high levels (a top food source): https://www.mushroomcouncil.com/vitamin-d/, https://fungi.com/blogs/articles/place-mushrooms-in-sunlight-to-get-your-vitamin-d, https://www.cookinglight.com/news/depression-fighting-vitamin-d-uv-mushroom-technique.
- For those who would like to know their body's level of vitamin D, "25-OH Vitamin D" tests are available from www.meridianvalleylab.com and other labs for about $70, and blood draws can be provided from places such as www.anylabtestnow.com and sent to the lab, and the results will be sent to you by mail within 1-2 weeks' time.
7. Magnesium -- proven effective against Polio (like vitamin C), effective for immune system support, and provides many health promoting effects
- Curing Polio with Magnesium - The Tip of the Iceberg? by Thomas Levy, MD, JD
- Research study: "Possibility of magnesium supplementation for supportive treatment in patients with COVID-19: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32931782/.
- Magnesium functions and food sources (a common nutrient deficiency): http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75, https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/magnesium
- Book: The Magnesium Miracle, 2nd Edition, by Carolyn Dean, MD, ND (naturopathic doctor, in addition to MD). Provides extensively research study supported information on the currently known over 1,000 essential functions in human health for magnesium.
- "Magnesium is one of the more common mineral deficiencies in older adults. Even in apparently healthy senior citizens, it is usually deficient1 ... A deficiency can cause the arteries of the heart to spasm, causing a heart attack ... Deficiency can occur from decreased intake of foods rich in magnesium, eating foods depleted of magnesium due to poor farming techniques [buy organic], decreased absorption, and disorders and medications that impair magnesium absorption [drug-induced nutrient depletion]. For all men, I recommend supplementing their diet with 400 mg of magnesium citrate a day. Good dietary sources of magnesium include green leafy foods (magnesium is the mineral ion in chlorophyll), beans and whole grains." Joe Pizzorno, ND, quote from Total Wellness: Discover the Body's Healing Systems, and How They Can Work for You (1996).
- 5 Common signs of magnesium deficiency, by cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, MD
8. Immune system support articles of interest
- Covid-19: How can I cure thee? Let me count the ways, by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
- List of research studies in support of the essential roles of nutrients (bioactive, biocompatible, non-patentable molecules) in immune system function
- Curing viruses with hydrogen peroxide: Can a simple therapy stop the pandemic? (for $.10 per day), by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
- Article on the amino acid Lysine (a $.25 per day nutritional supplement)
: "Lysine Reported to Halt Coronaviruses."
- In June, 2021, the author of the article, Richard Passwater, PhD, who, in the early 1970s, was the first nutrition advisor to a National Football League team, and was also a nutrition advisor to the professional boxer and humanitarian, Muhammad Ali, was inducted into the Orthomolecular Medicine Hall of Fame, which is one of the top healthcare practitioner/researcher organizations focused on the study of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare. Read more about the field of orthomolecular medicine (website, healing example for dry skin).
- Additional information on lysine (and arginine) functions and food sources.
- Herbs shown to kill covid-19: 3/12/21 article: "Patented botanical formulation kills COVID." https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/herbs-botanicals/patented-botanical-formulation-kills-covid.
- Nutrition-based medicine for prevention and treatment of coronavirus/covid-19, with 383 research study references cited, by four doctors, Pizzorno, Yanuck, Messier and Fitzgerald.
- Detailed information on the functions of nutrients in health promotion and immune system function.
- Read more...
9. NIH, 2012: "In healthy individuals...pathogens cause no disease."
Health promotion and optimization as methods of disease prevention and treatment: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nigh-human-microbiome-project-defines-normal-bacterial-makeup-body.
The number of bacteria, viruses and other pathogens in, on and around us all of the time: https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro2644. "If all the 1 × 1031 viruses on earth were laid end to end, they would stretch for 100 million light years [a light-year is a unit of length used to express astronomical distances, and it is equivalent to about 5.88 trillion miles; 100 million light years x 5.88 trillion miles/light year = 588,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles. Put another way: 148,372,445,117,335,352 times the distance of the diameter (width) of the earth.] Furthermore, there are 100 million times as many bacteria in the oceans (13 × 1028) as there are stars in the known universe." Possibly the germophobes are missing a few (or a few trillion trillion)! Should we stop swimming in the oceans?
10. "All essential nutrients are essential for immune system function."
Article on the immune system supporting benefits and anti-covid-19 research on vitamin D, vitamin C, quercetin, NAC, zinc, selenium, B vitamins, and vitamin A. https://doctormurray.com/natural-medicine-for-covid/.
Healthy cells for healthy immune system function: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=19.
Research study and information on the many essential nutrients that support immune system functions: "Contribution of selected vitamins and trace elements to immune function": https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17726308/.
11. Effectively evaluating the use of Vitamin C, other nutrients, and other naturally occurring substances for immune system support and other healthcare concerns
The research indicating that vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, NAC, lysine, selenium, B vitamins, potassium, omega 3 fats, herbs and other natural substances are effective for immune system support and other healthcare concerns is based upon an effective dose being utilized -- as is the case for any type of healthcare intervention. And, an effective dose, in regards to the use of nutrients and other natural substances, is based upon an individual’s unique needs -- digestion factors, nutrient cofactor levels, drug-induced depletion of vitamin C (or other nutrients being evaluated or utilized for immune system support), condition related needs, genetic factor related needs, etc. -- not across-the-board, one-size-fits-all study amounts given to population groups. And, in particular for vitamin C (but for many other nutrients, as well), our bodily needs are greatly increased while under stress, and when the immune system is in need of support. In such cases, and in other cases where digestion and absorption of nutrients are concerns, vitamin C (and/or other nutrients) are used very safely in intravenous format with excellent results.
For information on effective study design for evaluating the effectiveness of nutrients (vs. other substances), see: Vitamins and minerals for lowering risk of disease: Adding to the evidence, by Robert G. Smith, PhD, Associate Editor of Orthomolecular Medicine News Service
12. Organic food (food in its natural state) or food + pesticides for health?
“With respect to nutrient content, organically grown fruits and vegetables - on average - appear to contain about 15% higher levels of nutrients than conventionally grown fruits and vegetables.” http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=17. See the Environmental Working Group’s list of the foods highest in pesticides, https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty-dozen.php, and the foods lowest in pesticides: https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean-fifteen.php. See also: https://www.whatsonmyfood.org, and select any food on the right list, to see the many non-food, harmful ingredients added to non-organic food. For information on the adverse health effects of pesticides and other toxins, see The Toxin Solution -- How Hidden Poisons in the Air, Water, Food, and Products We Use Are2Destroying Our Health -- And What We Can Do To Fit It, by Joe Pizzorno, ND, and Clinical Environmental Medicine -- Identification and Natural Treatment of Disease Caused by Common Pollutants, by Pizzorno and Walter Crinnion, ND (https://johnlutz.com/books/#health, item #'s 4.2 and 4.3). Studies by Dr. Crinnion on organic foods, nutrient levels, and adverse health effects of toxins: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=crinnion+alternative+medicine+review.
Additional information on Reasons to Buy Organic: https://johnlutz.com/nutrition/organic/food/reasons-to-buy-organic-food.pdf.
Additional information on supporting the body's detoxification systems: https://johnlutz.com/health/detoxification/.
13. Raw foods vs. cooked foods
Various food cooking and processing methods leave little nutritional value left in foods. For example, approximately 30% of the vitamin C in foods is lost when food is frozen, and 50-80% or more is lost through common cooking methods. In general, about 40-50%, or more, of the vitamins and minerals which have been determined to be essential for human health, a strong immune system, and prevention (and treatment: see https://johnlutz.com/books/#health for thousands of supporting research studies and nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare research summaries for healthcare concerns) of many healthcare concerns are lost when food is cooked, including all of the enzymes contained in food (enzymes are more heat-sensitive than other nutrients; they are destroyed by cooking foods above 118°F, such as during most cooking methods and during pasteurization, canning and microwaving: https://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/processing). Enzymes are catalysts for reactions in our bodies, and they help digestion, support the immune system in multiple ways (including by breaking down the protective coating on certain viruses), help prevent nutritional deficiencies, help normalize inflammation, and help promote detoxification and the elimination of waste products.
Make your own produce wash solution, from Eating Clean for Dummies, by Jonathan Wright, MD and Linda Larson (https://johnlutz.com/books/#health, #1.2): 1 C white vinegar, 1 C water, 1 TBS baking soda, 1 tsp of salt in a spray bottle and shake well. Spray on fruits and vegetables. Let stand 5-10 min. Rinse well and eat. "You can store this for about a week before you make another batch. You can also rinse your produce, sprinkle it with baking soda, and then gently scrub it using your fingers. Just be sure to rinse your produce well with water before you eat it."
14. Saying goodbye to processed foods, and hello to improved health and improved immune system function
Research indicates that the majority of the food consumed by Americans is in the form of highly processed foods (57.5% of calories, according to one large study; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28193285/) vs. a diet comprised of foods in their natural state, with 0% of calories from highly processed foods. These "foods" are missing large portions of the over 100,000 nutritional components (health promoting substances) known to be contained within different foods (10,000+ healthful, nutritional components per food).
15. Natural Healthcare and Biblical Healing Philosophy
- "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." World Health Organization Definition of Health
- "The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease." Thomas Edison
- "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
- "The health of the patient is always the most important thing." Joseph Pizzorno, ND
- "Unfortunately, there are no medications and no surgeries that have ever or will ever cure lifestyle-induced diseases." Brenda Davis, RD
- "The most pervasive and silently accepted crisis in America today is the ill health of our people. We must change our fundamental approach from a traditional disease-driven, treatment-oriented medical model, to one that deals with the real problem of improving people's health." Joseph Pizzorno, ND
- "Iaomai" - the Greek word used in the Bible to describe healing.
- "Healing, particularly as supernatural and bringing attention to the Lord Himself as the Great Physician."
- "Draws the attention to the Lord, the supernatural Healer, i.e. beyond the physical healing itself and its benefits."
- "To heal, make whole, to cure, to perform healing." http://biblehub.com/greek/2390.htm
- The Liberty Bell got its name from being rung July 8, 1776, to call the citizens of Philadelphia together to hear the Declaration of Independence read out loud for the first time. Inscribed on the Liberty Bell is: "Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." Leviticus 25:10
16. 100,000+ studies in support of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare
100,000+ studies in support of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary healthcare interventions for healthcare concerns, including immune system support: The following books highlight up to 16,800 research studies per book in support of the use of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary interventions for healthcare concerns, or as additions to other healthcare interventions: https://johnlutz.com/books/#health.
17. Welcome to the Field of Orthomolecular Medicine
Orthomolecular medicine means correct, or right molecule medicine -- the use of nutrients and substances normally present in the body in therapeutic amounts to promote optimal immune system function, optimal health, and healing (rather than the use of synthetic, man-made, patentable substances that do not occur in nature, such as pharmaceutical products). The term was originally coined by Linus Pauling, the vitamin C advocate, and two-time Nobel Prize winner. The orthomolecular.org website highlights information from physicians and researchers from around the world with expertise in the use of naturally occurring substances for health promotion. For current orthomolecular medicine news articles, scroll 1/2 way down this page: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/index.shtml.
"Dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids, flavonoids, herbs, and accessory food factors, are among the most valuable and safe substances for prevention and treatment of serious chronic and acute diseases associated with mortality, as well as everyday health problems that cause discomfort and disability." Health effects of nutritional supplements on healthcare concerns, including virual healthcare concerns, brain function, heart health, blood pressure, vision, diabetes and longevity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695174/.
PubMed: The Origins of Orthomolecular Medicine. Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal, Steven Carter.
Video playlist: Jonathan Wright, MD, ND(Hon) and his team of healthcare practitioners discuss orthomolecular medicine, health optimization and healthcare innovations. E-newsletter, radio show, clinic, lab, blog.
18. No deaths - none - zero (or, extremely close to zero) - from vitamins and minerals
According to the following reports:
- 2019 Report: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v17n06.shtml
- 2015 Report: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v13n02.shtml
- 2013 Report: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v11n01.shtml
- 1983-2009 Report: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v07n05.shtml
- 97,000x safer than properly administered pharmaceutical drugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6U70Txtfg
- A healthcare system in need of change: http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2005/pdf/2005-v20n01-p021.pdf
19. Outstanding video: The proven roles of nutrients in healthcare
Video: Alan Gaby, MD, speaking on the proven roles of nutrients in healthcare, including for viral healthcare concerns such as coronavirus/covid-19. Dr. Gaby is the author of Nutritional Medicine, https://doctorgaby.com, which cites 16,800 research studies (out of the 100,000 studies that he and his associates have compiled) on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare for over 400 healthcare concerns.
As Dr. Gaby says, when others say there's no evidence for the natural healthcare approach, "They will quickly change their mind, if the 8 lb. book is dropped on their foot!"
20. Outstanding video #2: 85 years of history and the proven roles of nutrients in healthcare
Video: Timeline and Results of Vitamin Therapy - 1935 to Present, by Andrew Saul, PhD. Research study referenced information on the essential roles of nutrients in health promotion, treatment and prevention of disease. Dr. Saul is the editor of the orthomolecular.org (orthomolecular medicine) website.
21. We live on a green planet. Eat something green every day!
Greens are more nutrient-dense than other food groups. In fact, if a large green salad with a variety of nutrient-dense greens is consumed daily as a (or the) major meal of the day, the average nutrient intake for the 41 essential vitamins and minerals listed above is often 3-6x the RDA/RDI of each essential nutrient -- real health promotion, and real immune system support! https://johnlutz.com/diets/100+rda-from-foods/. See also: https://johnlutz.com/books/juicing/.
22. Sunlight, exercise, oxygen and fresh nature air
Sunlight, exercise, oxygen and fresh nature air are good reasons for taking a walk (even a very short one, around the block, or .25, .5, .75 mi. or more) or jog daily, at sunrise, or in the afternoon sun. Oxygen was used as a therapy for greatly reducing deaths during the 1918 flu, and it has been used as an anti-cancer therapy since the 1920s (https://johnlutz.com/books/#alternative_medicine_definitive_guide). Catching a walk or jog daily helps increase oxygen levels in the body, helps digestion, increases the body’s production of the most active form of vitamin D (and other health promoting photoproducts produced in our bodies when exposed to sunlight), improves circulation, promotes the elimination of wastes, improves the mood, helps promote a healthy bodyweight, improves circulation, helps promote the elimination of wastes, improves the mood, helps promote a healthy bodyweight, and helps reduce anxiety -- all kinds of health benefits (https://johnlutz.com/health/exercise/, https://johnlutz.com/health/sunlight/, https://johnlutz.com/health/fresh-air/). And it’s free. Consuming a diet high in raw produce helps provide much higher levels of nutrients, such as potassium, vitamin C and B vitamins, which are involved in muscle function, energy production and helping provide needed nutrition for physical activity and health promotion.
23. Current articles from world-class experts in the field of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare on immune system function and health optimization (improving overall health as a method of health promotion and fighting disease)
- Articles and videos on safe, effective, natural, proven, interventions for immune system support, with hundreds of supporting research studies referenced: https://johnlutz.com/#covid_19.
- Townsendletter.com: 25+ excellent articles on the proven roles of nutrients and natural healthcare therapies in immune system support: https://www.townsendletter.com/coronavirus-covid-19-related-articles/.
- "Covid-19: How can I cure thee? Let me count the ways..." Article by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD, from July, 2020. “With the treatment options available ... there is certainly no good reason for anyone to die from this virus, much less have a prolonged clinical course of infection with a great deal of needless suffering.” http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n37.shtml. Bio: https://www.peakenergy.com/About-Dr-Levy.php.
- "Nutritional Treatment of Coronavirus," by Andrew Saul, PhD, and the editorial board of the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n06.shtml.
- "Evidence supporting a phased immuno-physiological approach to covid-19 -- from prevention through recovery" -- the natural healthcare approach, one article with 383 supporting research studies cited: Medical professional level reading, but still readable, if the necessary time is taken to do so (21 pages, 3.5 of which are graphs). One of the authors, Dr. Joe Pizzorno, has been teaching and writing on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare solutions for immune system support for 45+ years. http://bit.ly/383-studies.
- "Curing Viruses with Hydrogen Peroxide: Can a simple therapy stop the pandemic?" (for less than 10 cents per day), by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n43.shtml.
- 75+ things you can do to support your immune system (non-drug, non-vaccine interventions): https://johnlutz.com/#immune_system_support.
24. Natural healthcare healing systems, practice groups, and physician directories
- Orthomolecular Medicine: https://johnlutz.com/health/orthomolecular-medicine/
- Naturopathic Medicine: https://johnlutz.com/health/naturopathic-medicine/
- Functional Medicine: https://johnlutz.com/health/functional-medicine/
- Vision Improvement Therapy/Behavioral Optometry: https://johnlutz.com/health/vision/
- Natural Dental Care/Biological Dentistry: https://johnlutz.com/health/dental/
25. Coronavirus/covid-19 vs. Faith and the Bible
An interesting case that is not being significantly covered in the news: Life Tabernacle Church, in Baton Rouge, LA, has continued to hold church services in person every week during 2020/2021, standing on the Bible verses instructing them to do so (Psalm 35:18; Hebrews 10:25; 2 Timothy 1:7; Acts 2:1; Exodus 20:3; Psalm 91 and others), and standing on the 1st Amendment as it is written. The church uses 33 school buses to pick up 600+ people for Sunday church services, feed everyone weekly, and hold mid-week church services and Bible study classes, for the church of 1,100+ members -- without masks and without social distancing (for the most part), and no one has died of the coronavirus/covid-19. Related information: www.ltcbr.com and https://www.youtube.com/c/TonySpell/videos.
Br. Tony Spell and Life Tabernacle Church, Baton Rouge, LA, Victory Belongs to Jesus
26. Related Bible Verses
- 2 Corinthians 1:19-20: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
- Romans 12:1-2: "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."
- Psalm 91:1-3 (and all of Psalm 91): "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence."
- 2 Timothy 1:7: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
27. Books & News
- September, 2021: Public Service Announcement: Safe, Effective, Research Study Referenced Nutrition-based Medicine and Natural Healthcare Immune System Support Research Summary
- Additional new web pages and news articles.
- Nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare news sources.
- Top nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare reference books.
- Nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare products and services.
The above immune system support research summary provides safe, effective, research study referenced information on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare, and related case studies, articles and videos.
Whether you choose a 100% natural approach to healthcare, or a combination of natural healthcare and other healthcare interventions, natural healthcare can provide help for improving your healthcare concerns.
"We The People..."
Inscribed on the Liberty Bell is: "Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." Lev. 25:10.
If you’ve found this information to be helpful and of interest, please consider providing a donation to support ongoing nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare research, and the sharing of safe, effective, research-study referenced nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare information with others. Sharing top research on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare is a nonprofit type of mission. A 501c3 has not yet been registered (donations are not currently tax deductible), but that is currently being considered.
Very simply: There are safe, effective, research study referenced, clinically proven natural solutions for improving and/or curing most healthcare concerns -- information that is not being effectively shared with the public in other communication formats.
Donations: Support can be sent through Zelle, a free money transfer service (no fees charged to senders or recipients), which is offered by most banks, and available through the www.zellepay.com website, if it is not offered by your bank. E-mail addresses and phone numbers are utilized for doing so (firstname.lastname@example.org and 302-793-9330). Or, alternatively, donations can be sent by check to the below address.
Supporting nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare research, and sharing this information with others: 22 cents/home for printing costs, delivery costs and related expenses. To reach:
- 100 homes: $22
- 250 homes: $55
- 500 homes: $110
- 1,000 homes: $220
- 2,500 homes: $550
- 5,000 homes: $1,100
- In digital formats, about 1,200 people can be reached for every $100 contributed (12 cents per recipient).
I hope you’ve found this information to be helpful and of interest! And, thank you to those who are able to support ongoing natural healthcare research for healthcare concerns and the sharing of the information with others!
John H. Lutz, III
Website Table of Contents
Included below are links to content that is currently online. Some of the content includes initial draft versions, while other content has been more fully developed, with many supporting research studies and sources referenced.
- About (Welcome, Quick Bio, Products and Services, Recent E-newsletters and Site Info)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Back Pain
- Bacteria, Pathogens and Health
- Bible Verses by Topic (The Bible, Bible-related Books, Music and Sermons; Bible Studies, Sermons and Related Links)
- Books: Nutrition-based Medicine and Natural Healthcare
- Brain and Healing (Utilizing the Brain's Full Potential, Exercise and Brain Function, Nutrition and Brain Function, Belief More Important than Facts, Visualization, Positive Messages)
- Cancer (see DVD preview, books and links; Chemosensitivity Testing, Hydrazine Sulfate: Brain Tumors Study; Medicine-less Healing)
- Chelation Therapy
- Circulation (Nattokinase information)
- Coronavirus/Covid-19 - Immune System Support Research Summary (Articles and Videos, 75+ Immune System Support Items, Faith and the Bible, Additional Info, Reducing Deaths)
- Cruciferous Vegetables
- Dental Care
- Depression (see DVD preview and books)
- Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion (Immune Suppression, Antibiotics)
- Dry Skin
- Ear Wax
- Electro-dermal Screening (EDS), Electro-acupuncture According to Voll (EAV), Meridian Stress Assessment (MSA)
- Energy Medicine
- Essential Nutrients (Essential Functions of Nutrients in Health Promotion)
- Ethical Stem Cells (see DVD preview and books; for Osteoarthritis; additional stem cell info)
- Exercise (Exercise and Brain Function)
- Factors Causing Nutrient Loss
- Food Sensitivities
- Foods for Energy
- Foundations of Health
- Fresh Air (Grow Plants for Fresh Air)
- Functional Medicine
- Green Foods
- H-Wave: Increased Circulation, Pain Reduction
- Healing Affirmations as Healthcare (Cancer example)
- Health News and Research Sources (Books)
- Health Quotes
- Healthy Longevity (brain, vision, hearing, other topics)
- High Potassium Diet
- History of Vitamins and Minerals in Healthcare (2, 3)
- Hydrazine Sulfate (Sehydrin, Research Study Results for Brain Tumors)
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Immune System Support
- Kirlian Photography
- Lab Testing
- Longevity and Health
- Mediterranean Diet
- Multivitamins and minerals
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
- Natural Healthcare
- Natural Healthcare and Biblical Healing Philosophy
- Natural Healthcare Healing Systems, Practice Groups, and Physician Directories (2)
- Naturopathic Medicine (2)
- News and Research Sources
- Nutrient-dense Foods
- Nutrient IVs
- Nutrients for Health Promotion (Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids, Fatty Acids, Carbohydrates, Phytonutrients, Enzymes, Probiotics, Conditionally Essential Amino Acids, Non-essential Amino Acids, Additional Amino Acids Used for Building Bodily Proteins, Amino Acids Used for Other Purposes, Other Fats, Vitamin-like Nutrients, Minerals That May Be Classified as Essential Nutrients in the Near Future)
- Nutrition and Recipe Books
- Organic Food
- Orthomolecular Medicine (2)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Processed Foods
- Quantum Physics
- Raw Food Books
- Raw Foods vs. Cooked Foods
- Research Studies
- Sample menu providing an average of 6x the RDA/RDI of essential nutrients for health
- Safety of Vitamins and Minerals
- Spiritual Health
- Stress Reduction
- Sulforaphane (cruciferous vegetables)
- Toxins (Detoxification)
- Vegan Diet (Game Changers Movie, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes)
- Vision Improvement (Books)
- Vitamin and Mineral Functions in Health Promotion, Immune System Support, and Healthcare (2)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D (Sunlight)
- Vitamin N (Nature)
- Weight Loss
1. The Bible
1.1 Bible Verses by Topic
- Actions, Anguish, Answered Prayer (2), Armor of God (2)
- Blessings, Body of Christ
- Caring for Others, Challenges (2), Character, Cheerful, Communication, Compassion, Correcting, Creation, Credibility
- David vs. Goliath, Distractions, Doubting Thomas
- Education, Encouragement, Everlasting Life, Empowerment, Evil (Rebuke), Evolution
- Faith (2), Faith Healing, Fasting, Fear, Fitness, Forgiveness (2), Fruit of the Spirit (2)
- Gifts, Giving, Go, God Heals, God Wins, God's Thoughts, God's Voice, God's Way, God's Will, God's Word, Golden Rule (2), Grace, Greatest Commandment (2), Greatness, Great Commission, Greetings
- Healing, Health, Hearing God's Voice, Heaven, House of Prayer, Humility
- Iaomai, Integrity
- Jesus Christ, Joy, Judging , Judging Others
- Leadership, Legalism, Life Purpose, Listen, Live in Peace with Others, Lord's Prayer, Love
- Man, Marriage, Memorize Scripture, Mentoring, Momentum, Money, Music,
- Not by Might
- Parable of the Talents, Peace, Perseverance, Possessions, Praise, Prayer (2), Preparation, Priorities, Prosper, Protection, Pride, Priorities
- Reading the Bible, Rebuke Evil, Rebuking, Relationships, Respect, Responsibility, Rest, Righteousness (2), Run with God
- Salvation, Sanctification, Seeking God, Sermons, Servant Leadership, Sin (2), Speaking (2), Spirit, Strength, Success, Sword of the Spirit
- Teaching (2), Temptation, Testing the Spirits, Testimonies, Thanksgiving, Tithe, Tree of Life, Trust, Trust in God (2), Truth
- Victory, Vision
- Win, Wisdom, Woman, Work, Worry
1.2 Music and Sermons
Video: Br. Tony Spell, No Ordinary Worship...Is There Not a Cause?
Video: Br. Tony Spell, The Wicked Shall Cease Their Troubling...Don't Leave Your Furnace
Videos: Christian Music Video Playlist
Video: Br. Tony Spell, Harvard University discussion on the Bible, Christian faith and the U.S. Constitution
Video: Br. Tony Spell, 7 Mighty Weapons Against Satan
Video: Elvis Presley Gospel Music Playlist
Videos: Instrumental Christian Music Video Playlist
2. Natural Healthcare
2.1 Foundations of Health
- Health Quotes and Natural Healthcare Principles
- Fundamentals of Natural Medicine
- Orthomolecular Medicine and Other Biocompatible Healthcare Fields
- Fresh (Nature) Air
- Brain Power
- Health Books
- Spiritual Health
Video: Dr. James Duke, author of The Green Pharmacy, discussing the health benefits of some of the 100,000+ currently known health promoting nutritional components of foods.
2.3 Nutrients for Health Promotion
Video: Timeline and Results of Vitamin Therapy - 1935 to Present, by Andrew Saul, PhD.
Research study referenced information on the essential roles of nutrients in health promotion, treatment and prevention of disease.
2.4 Health Books
- Health Condition Reference Books highlighting research from 100,000+ studies in support of the use of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary healthcare interventions.
- Nutrition and Recipe Books
- Raw Foods Books
- Juicing Books
- The Bible
2.5 Nutrient-Dense Foods
Foods providing high levels of nutrients known to be essential for health and health promoting factors:
- The top 100 most nutrient-dense, readily available, inexpensive foods, and their beneficial effects on health
- List of essential nutrients
- List of additional health promoting nutrients
2.6 Factors Causing Losses of Nutrients
- "Conventional" farming: Organic foods commonly contain 5-20% higher levels of nutrients
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion
- Cooking, storage and related factors
Videos: Healthy Cooking Videos, by George Mateljan, author of The World's Healthiest Foods Cookbook, 3rd. Edition, which provides information on nutrition, nutrient-dense foods, cooking methods to minimize nutrient losses, and 30 days of recipes supplying 100% or more of the RDI/RDA of essential nutrients for health and healing.
- Nutrient-dense Sample Menus (Raw + Cooked Foods):
- Foods for energy:
- Whfoods.com, detailed information on the essential roles of nutrients in energy production.
- Cooked Foods:
- Vegetarian and Vegan:
- Whfoods.com, detailed information on foods that support detoxification of toxic substances
- Cruciferous vegetables:
- Whfoods.com, detailed information anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, detoxification antioxidant, heart health, immune supporting properties
- How Digestion Works:
- Whfoods.com, information on optimizing digestion to help maximize nutrient absorption
- Foods and nutrients for immune system support -- coronavirus, covid-19
- Mediterranean diet: healthful, non-vegan diet
- Vegan diet
- Genesis 1:29 diet: raw vegan diet
2.9 Healing Systems
Video playlist: Jonathan Wright, MD, ND(Hon) and his team of healthcare practitioners discuss health optimization, healthcare innovations, nutrition-based medicine, and natural healthcare. E-newsletter, radio show, clinic, lab, blog.
PubMed: The Origins of Orthomolecular Medicine. Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal, Steven Carter
Video: Molly Niedermeyer, ND, LM discussing natural healthcare, energy and water intake.
7. Innovative Natural Healthcare Lab Tests: Nutritional Analysis, Biomarkers for Health, Hormones Levels, Food Allergies, Blood Viscosity, Blood Sugar Related Testing, Chemosensitivity Testing, and other Innovative Health Tests
Video Playlist: John Sherman, ND: Top 20 Biomarkers of Health. Innovative health tests and information from the fields of nutrition-based medicine, natural healthcare, alternative medicine and integrative medicine .
8. Nutrient IVs to Support Health and Healing
- 1994: Treatment of Infectious Disease with Massive Doses of Vitamin C, by Robert Cathcart III, MD
- Meyer's Cocktail - Nutrient IV, by Alan Gaby, MD. Used to help many healthcare concerns, especially when digestion may not be optimal.
- Additional examples of nutrient IVs, and information on their positive health effects: fluid IVs, vitamin C, glutathione, B vitamins, amino acids, taurine, NAD, magnesium, and stem cells.
- Juicing: Better than a Nutrient IV? There are 10,000+ currently known nutritional components (known health promoting components) for each food. A nutrient IV (depending upon what is used) may provide 50-100 nutrients, or less.1
- 100%+ RDA from Foods Diet
3. Health Conditions
Video: Playlist of Burton Goldberg's Videos: Cancer Conquest, Ethical Stem Cells, and Curing Depression
- Vision Improvement
- Dental Care
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Circulation (Nattokinase information)
- Dry Skin
- Healthy Longevity (brain, vision, hearing, other topics)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Drug-Induced Nutrient Deficiencies
- Additional Healthcare Conditions (Health Books)
- Health News and Research Sources
4. Natural Healthcare News
5. Healthcare Policy Information
6. Essential Nutrients
See also: Foundations of Health
Nutrients currently classified as "essential nutrients" for health by the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB), of the Institute of Medicine (IOM), of the National Academies: 41 Nutrients -- water, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids:
There are 14 essential vitamins, according to the Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Academies.
2. Vitamin A
Retinoids are found in animal foods, and Carotenoids, such as Beta-Carotene, found in plant foods:
- Retinoids: found in animal foods:
- Retinoic acid
- Retinyl esters
- Carotenoids: found in plant foods; over 600 Carotenoids have been discovered:
- Lycopene (antioxidant, heart health, anti-cancer and prostate health effects)
- Lutein (antioxidant, macular degeneration and cataract health effects)
- Zeaxanthin (antioxidant, macular degeneration and cataract health effects)
- Once consumed, these carotenoid forms of vitamin A may be converted by the body into retinoid forms.1
3. Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
- Flavonoids/Bioflavonoids: a class of nutrients; over 6,000 flavonoids have been discovered; formerly called Vitamin P; not currently officially classified as an essential vitamin, but work together with Vitamin C and have many related health effects.
- Quercetin: Quercetin and other bioflavonoids that have been shown to help normalize inflammation, promote heart health, promote nervous system health, help absorption of vitamin C, and provide many other health promoting effects.
4. Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
5. Vitamin E
For Vitamin D, there are four different Tocopherol forms, and four different Tocotrienol forms.
6. Vitamin K
- K1: Phylloquinone or Phytonadione
- K2: A Group of Compounds Referred to as Menaquinones
- K3: Menadione
7. Thiamin (B1)
8. Riboflavin (B2)
9. Niacin (B3)
10. Pantothenic Acid (B5)
11. Pyridoxine (B6)
12. Folate (B9)
13. Cobalamin (B12)
14. Biotin (also called Vitamin H)
There are 15 essential minerals, according to the Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Academies.
There are 9 essential, or indispensable amino acids, according to the Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Academies.
40. Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA)
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
- Docosapentaenoic acid (DPA)
41. Omega 6 Fatty Acids
- Gamma-linolenic Acid (GLA)
6.1 Additional Health Promoting Nutrients
- We live on a green planet -- eat something green every day!
- Metabolic Enzymes
- Pancreatic Enzymes
- Food/Plant Enzymes
Over 500 different species have been discovered, and it is estimated that there are more bacteria in our intestines than cells in our bodies. Some commonly supplemented forms of probiotics and related nutrients are included below:
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Bifidobacterium lactis
- Lactobacillus plantarum
- Lactobacillus salivarius
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Lactobacillus casei
- Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3
- Lactobacillis bulgaricus
- Lactobacillus fermentum
- Bifidobacterium breve
- Lactobacillus paracasei
- Bifidobacterium infantis
- Postbiotic metabolites
(5) Conditionally Essential Amino Acids
The following amino acids can be made by the body under many circumstances, but under other circumstances, they cannot be made in a sufficiently reliable way to meet needs:
(6) Non-Essential Amino Acids
Amino acids that the body can make under virtually all circumstances:
- Aspartic Acid
- Glutamic Acid
(7) Additional Amino Acids That Can Be Used for Building Bodily Proteins
Unlike the above 20 amino acids, direct instructions for making these three additional amino acids are not contained within our genes:
(8) Other Amino Acids
Researchers estimate that an additional 750-1,000 amino acids are present in living things, which are routinely used for a wide variety of purposes not related to the building of proteins:
(9) Other Fats
- Arachidonic Acid (AA)
- Caprylic Acid
- Monounsaturated Fats
- Omega 9 Fatty Acids (Oleic Acid)
- Saturated Fats
(10) Vitamin-like nutrients
Nutrients commonly grouped with vitamins, but not classified as essential nutrients:
- Coenzyme Q-10
- "CoQ10 deficiency has been shown to be present in 39% of patients with high blood pressure, and supplementation with CoQ10 can lower blood pressure."2
- Lipoic Acid
- PABA (Para-aminobenzoic acid)
(11) Minerals that may soon be classified as essential nutrients
- Possibly many others
7. Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion
As mentioned above, nutrients have hundreds to thousands of currently known, essential functions in human health (1,000+ for magnesium, 2,000+ for zinc, 2,700+ for vitamin D, etc.). The following list provides links to currently known nutrients depleted by drugs:
Drug-induced depletion of nutrients essential for health
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, adverse health effects explained, Riordan Clinic
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion and interactions, 230 references cited, Oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, printable chart, Naturalpharmacist.net
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, printable chart, Wecarepharm.com
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, printable chart, Coastalpharmacyandwellness.com
- A practical guide to avoiding drug-induced nutrient depletion, by Hyla Cass, MD
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, printable chart, aafp.org
- Enter a drug, see nutrients depleted, drug-nutrient interactions, foods and herbs interactions, and related information Aisle7.com, Interactive Therapeutics, Integrativepro.com (paid account required)
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, chart, Natural Medicines Database, trchealthcare.com
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, printable chart, Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion Handbook, 2nd Ed., spectracell.com
- Drug-nutrient depletion and known interactions,
- Drug-induced nutrient depletion, Uspharmacist.net
Essential functions of nutrients in health promotion
- Micronutrients (Vitamins and Minerals) for Health (2), printable chart of nutrient functions, food sources, recommended intake amounts, oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Essential functions of nutrients in human health, detailed nutrient function information and food sources, orthomolecular.org
- Essential functions of nutrients in human health, detailed information on health effects of nutrients, top food sources, whfoods.com
- Nutrients for health promotion and their use in treating healthcare concerns, Tahomaclinicblog.com and Jonathan Wright, MD, ND (hon)
- Nutrient Index, oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Nutrients and Disease Index, oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Micronutrient Inadequacies in the US Population: An Overview, oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Correlations between nutrient deficiency and chronic disease, wecarepharm.com
- Lookup vitamins and minerals, functions, and food sources, also provides detailed information on herbs and other natural products, Natural Medicines Database, sprouts.com
- Vitamin and mineral functions, food sources, daily value, printable chart, fda.gov
- 100+ nutrient dense foods list, whfoods.com
- 7 days of recipes for obtaining 100+ of the RDI/RDA for essential nutrients, and information on health supporting roles of nutrients, whfoods.com
- Dr. Fuhrman's aggregate nutrient density index (ANDI) nutrient-dense food list, printable chart, drfuhrman.com
- Prescription for health, oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Lookup foods high in nutrients essential for health, nutritiondata.self.com
- Lookup food and nutrient information, usda.gov
- Beyond vitamins and minerals: phytochemicals for health, oregonstate.edu, Linus Pauling Institute
- Nutrition and health info sheet: Phytochemicals, ucdavis.edu
- Health condition reference books highlighting research from 100,000+ studies in support of the use of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary healthcare interventions.
8. Coronavirus - Current Natural Healthcare Articles and Videos
8.1 Safe, effective, proven, research-study referenced, natural immune system support
Video: Alan Gaby, MD, speaking on the proven roles of nutrients in healthcare, including for viral healthcare concerns such as coronavirus/ covid-19. Dr. Gaby is the author of Nutritional Medicine, which cites 16,800 research studies (out of the 100,000 studies that he and his associates have compiled) on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare for over 400 healthcare concerns.
Research summaries on immune system support for coronavirus/ covid-19 from nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare focused medical associations and leaders from within these fields:
- Townsendletter.com: 25+ excellent articles on the proven roles of nutrients and natural healthcare therapies in immune system support.
- International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine: additional excellent articles on the proven roles of nutrients in immune system function.
- Whfoods.com: Foods for a healthy immune system.
- "All essential nutrients are essential for immune system function." Article on the immune system supporting benefits and anti-covid-19 research on vitamin D, vitamin C, quercetin, NAC, zinc, selenium, B vitamins, and vitamin A.
- Medical professional level reading (but still readable, if the necessary time is taken to do so; 21 pages, 3.5 of which are graphs): nutrition-based medicine for prevention and treatment of coronavirus/covid-19 (drug-free, vaccine-free prevention and treatment), with 383 research study references cited, by the co-founder, Joe Pizzorno, ND (naturopathic doctor) of likely the top college on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare in the U.S. (bastyr.edu), along with three other authors. Dr. Pizzorno has been teaching and writing on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare solutions for immune system support for 45+ years.
- Easy reading (for everyone and medical professionals): Orthomolecular medicine news articles (scroll down the linked page to view articles, which are easily readable articles). Orthomolecular medicine means correct, or right molecule medicine -- the use of nutrients and other naturally occurring substances in therapeutic amounts to promote immune system function, optimal health and healing (rather than synthetic, man-made, patentable substances that do not occur in nature, such as pharmaceutical drugs). The orthomolecular.org website highlights information from physicians and researchers from around the world with expertise in the use of naturally occurring substances for health promotion.
- Covid-19: How can I cure thee? Let me count the ways, by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
- Curing viruses with hydrogen peroxide: Can a simple therapy stop the pandemic? by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
- No deaths from vitamin supplements - none at all - in 27 years.
- Quercetin + Zinc + Vitamin C shows outstanding results against Coronavirus/Covid-19 (well-proven, safe, inexpensive, drug-free, vaccine-free immune system support), by Michael Murray, ND, another top naturopathic doctor and author of many top books on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare.
- Is it chloroquine (or hydrochloroquine) (drugs) or is it zinc that is working as a possible aid in treating COVID-19? Chloroquine and hydrochloroquine simply help cells update zinc more effectively, helping solve a common nutrient deficiency (the average senior only obtains about 1/2 of the RDA/RDI for zinc). Zinc is one of the most effective anti-viral substances known, with over 300 currently known essential functions in human health, many of which are critical immune system functions. Article by Michael Murray, ND.
- Naturopathic medicine videos on how to effectively support the immune system.
- Functional medicine research summaries on key nutrients and other natural substances for immune system support (2, 3). Functional medicine is a field of medicine that is very similar to orthomolecular medicine and naturopathic medicine. Functional medicine "determines how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual."
- Detailed information on botanicals and supplements affecting the immune response in the time of covid-19, with 230 research study references cited, by 10 authors with advanced expertise in plant-based medicines, highlighted by the American Botanical Council, one of the top such organizations in the U.S. and the world.
- Health condition reference books highlighting research from 100,000+ studies in support of the use of nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare as primary healthcare interventions.
8.2 Faith and Bible Verses as Immune System Support and Protection
- The Bible's teachings (Exodus 20:3, Psalm 91 and many other Bible verses) on God's protection from the "pestilence."
- An interesting related case of proven immune system support not being reported in the news: Life Tabernacle Church, in Baton Rouge, LA, has continued to hold church services in person during every week of 2020/2021, while using 33 school buses to pick up 500+ people per week for church services, and feed everyone every week, for the church of 1,100+ members, and no one has died of the coronavirus/covid-19, further proving that prayer and faith provide powerful immune system support and protection from the "pestilence." Related videos and information: Tony Spell, of Life Tabernacle Church, teaching powerful Biblical messages on building rock-solid faith.
8.3: 75+ Items for Immune System Support
Individual nutrients, interventions and therapies for immune system support -- safe, effective, natural, drug-free, vaccine-free immune system support!
- Fresh (nature) air
- Relaxed and deep breathing
- Stress reduction (Bible verses, the brain and healing)
- Fluids (water, vegetable juices, soups, herb teas, avoid fruit juice1)
- Sample immune system support menu providing an average of 6x the RDA/RDI of essential nutrients for optimal health and immune system function.
- Limit sugar consumption to small to moderate amount of whole fruit1: Sugar has been shown to significantly weaken immune system function; promote loss of calcium and magnesium supplied by other foods1 (and likely other nutrients); and provide calories without nutrients. Choose sweet fruit instead. As an ice cream alternative, frozen bananas can be mashed in a high powered blender with some seeds or nuts to provide a great alternative. Sugar (and caffeine and alcohol) can be very addictive; sugar activates the same receptor sites in the brain that are affected by heroin!1 For information and nutritional help leaving sugar (a very refined food, which does not occur in such a state in nature) behind, a book by Jonathan Wright, MD, ND (Hon. naturopathic doctor) and his coauthor Linda Larsen is an excellent resource, and an excellent research for most other questions related to the field of nutrition. https://johnlutz.com/books/#eating_clean_for_dummies. Good news: after avoiding all added sugars for 1-4 weeks, and replacing those calories with healthy, unrefined, non-processed foods, the taste and cravings for sugar are often fully gone (or gone, for the most part).
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol: both have diuretic properties, promoting losses of water soluble nutrients (caffeine, alcohol), such as B and C vitamins and minerals, needed for immune system function. Additionally, alcohol, at 7 calories per gram (vs. 4 calories per gram for protein and carbohydrates) would not be considered a nutrient-dense food source (for most sources of alcohol), nor is it considered an essential nutrient for health (displacing other sources of essential nutrients for health). Fats have 9 calories per gram, but two types of fats (not all types of fat), omega 3 and omega 6 fats, are considered essential nutrients for health. Most of the research and information contained within top books on nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare suggests avoiding alcohol, caffeine and sugar (and processed foods), each of which have addictive properties. And, these books state that consuming nutrient-dense food significantly helps reduce withdrawal symptoms, in addition to promoting improved immune system function1, 2 and overall health3, 4. For information and nutritional help leaving caffeine and alcohol behind, the above mentioned book by Jonathan Wright, MD, ND (Hon. naturopathic doctor) and his coauthor Linda Larsen is an excellent resource, and an excellent research for most other questions related to the field of nutrition. https://johnlutz.com/books/#eating_clean_for_dummies.
- Consume unrefined foods in their natural state (avoid food additives, processed food, packaged foods, etc.)
- Consume organic food (reduces exposure to heavy metals, cadmium, lead, mercury, arsenic; reduces exposure to pesticides; contains higher levels of nutrients)
- Identifying food sensitivities, and avoiding such foods
- Weight reduction/healthy weight maintenance
- Eat smaller meals, to help digestion and nutrient absorption
- Relax while eating (rather than multi-tasking), to help digestion and nutrient absorption
- Essential fatty acids (EFAs)
- Multivitamin and mineral (additional info, roles in immune system support)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin B12
- Other B vitamins
- N-Acetylcysteine (NAC); "NAC is a precursor to glutathione. In many cases, the availability of NAC is a rate limiting factor in glutathione production."1 Raw produce has much higher levels than cooked, canned or processed produce.2 See Raw Foods Books and Juicing Books.
- High potassium diet (the RDA/RDI for potassium is about 4-5x higher than calcium!)
- Coenzyme Q-10
- Patented herbal formula shown to kill coronavirus/covid-19
- Goldenseal (and Berberine)
- Licorice (herb)
- Baicalin (Scutellaria)
- Turmeric (and Curcumin)
- Green tea
- Aloe Vera
- Sulforaphane (cruciferous vegetables)
- Nutrient IVs
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Detoxification support
- Quitting smoking (smoking promotes losses of vitamin C and other nutrients, and toxicity, both of which weaken immune system function)
- Avoid air pollution
- Avoid dry air in heated buildings (use a humidifier at home in winter)
- Avoid excessive exercise
- Reduce candida overgrowth (oregano oil)
- Avoid overexposure to infectious agents (overloads the immune system)
- Avoid toxic chemicals, such organic solvents (paint thinner, petroleum distillates, and carpet cleaners), which can cause depressed immune system function and auto-antibodies - antibodies that the body mistakenly develops against its own tissues.1 See detoxification.
- Avoid drugs when possible (e.g. aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, corticosteroids such as cortisone), which have been shown to decrease antibody production, cause broad immune suppression, and cause depletion of nutrients essential for health and immune system function.1
- Avoid chronic antibiotic use, which causes general immune impairment, increases overgrowth of candida, and makes bacteria stronger and more resistant to immune function.1
- Avoid severe trauma, such as accidents and major surgery when possible (example: nonsurgical support for osteoarthritis), which cause an inflammatory response that overloads the immune system.1
8.4 Healthcare Solutions for Reducing Coronavirus Deaths
"Covid-19 deaths" are primarily due to (1) lack of access to safe, effective immune system support, (2) lack of implementation of overall health optimization with nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare, and (3) complications from co-morbidities (other healthcare concerns).
In regards to #3 above, Covid-19 is primarily causing deaths in people with co-morbidities -- multiple additional healthcare concerns. See: