- Matthew 1:18-23, NIV 1984
- The Birth of Jesus Christ
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[a] because he will save his people from their sins."
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"[b] -- which means "God with us".
- [a]: Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the Lord saves.
- [b]: Isaiah 7:14: Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
-  The Hebrew is plural.
-  Masoretic Text; Dead Sea Scrolls and he or and they.
-  Immanuel means God with us.
- Matthew 1:24-25, NIV 1984
- 24When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.25 But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
- Matthew 1:17, NIV 1984
- Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.[a]
- [a] From Matthew 1:17: Or Messiah. "The Christ" (Greek) and "the Messiah" (Hebrew) both mean "the Anointed One."
- John 3:16-17
- 16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
- John 11:25-26
- 25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
- John 5:24
- "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life."
- John 14:6
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- Acts 4:12
- Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.
- Romans 10:13
- for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[a]
- a. Joel 2:32: And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the Lord has said, even among the survivors whom the Lord calls.[b]
- b. In Hebrew texts, Joel 2:28-32 is numbered 3:1-5.